Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tools are to Men, as Shopping is to Women.

Who knew I married, Chris- The Tool Man- Gifford? I sure didn't at the time. I mean when we were in high school he was known as "Pretty Boy Gifford" who would never get his hands dirty. I married the studier, not the builder. When I thought about our future together I always envisioned us hiring people for the "manly" jobs around the house. And I'm not exaggerating. Three years ago we were driving to meet some friends for golf when Chris drove over the median and blew out his tire. I almost had a panic attack when he told me his dad was out of town. Papa Gifford is the handy man. We called Papa Giff when our water heater broke, when our shower faucet leaked and when we replaced our dishwasher. Well, somewhere along the line Chris must've been spying on all his dad's tricks. Because, Chris built this just a few months ago and I LOVE it.

Now all of a sudden, Home Depot is his favorite store. He is on a first name basis with some of the staff and he can't wait to buy his next tool. Which brings me to my next thought, tools bring men together. Tools are to men, as shopping is to women. I can feel the adrenaline build in the garage as the guys talk about their latest projects. Now whenever I say I want to buy something, Chris' first response is, "No, I'll just build it."
And I have to admit, I really like being married to a handy man.


So, if this whole pharmacy thing doesn't end up panning out, at least we'll have a back up plan.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I only wish my husband was as motivated. On his days off he just wants to relax. When you own a home that just doesn't work.

Unknown said...

Oh, and if he puts into his projects what he did when he studied, anything he builds will no doubt look amazing!

Jamie Giff said...

Every time I see that entertainment center I am newly impressed! I can't believe Chris's transition to Mister Tool-Time either - but what luck for you!

Ay, shopping. How I fear it. I'm such a fraud as a woman.

Jill Manis said...

We've been wanting to build a wall unit like that, it's beautiful! So you didn't tell us how difficult it was for a husband that is more of a studier (like mine) :)

Unknown said...

He says it wasn't too difficult as long as you have a miter saw. When we bought our home the model had this entertainment center in it so he actually build a mini version of it first (to scale) & then just followed his mini prototype.