Monday, April 25, 2011

All by Myself


I think that I sat down to blog about 3 times but got preoccupied with something else each time, so here I am... 5 days later.

I had every intention of returning to the classroom after Siege was born, when I was pregnant that is. I planned to take 12 weeks off and then get back to work, but after Siege was born and I held that tiny body in my arms, I just couldn't.
However, before I had a child, I remembered thinking that a stay-at-home mom gig wouldn't be too bad. I could do all the things I never had time for. Learn how to sew, go to the gym everyday, learn to cook, have dinner on the table each night, etc, etc. But for the first 6 months I was lucky if I could get a shower in each day. Now things are finally getting easier. Siege at 6 months is bliss.



So, I bought a sewing pattern (which I haven't had too much progress on yet), checked out the kids club at the gym (still haven't used it), and I even went to a cooking class.
I check out the groupons on my iphone each day. It's become my second favorite app, next to Facebook. Chris gets golf offers on there all the time, but I had never purchased one. A few weeks back they had a groupon for a cooking class. You could choose from a calendar of about 50 different kinds. I immediately solicited some friends to see if they'd want to try it out. No one wanted to. Just as I was ready to forget about it, I thought oh, I'll just get it and try it out. After all, it's on my "house wife" bucket list.
Last Thursday I remember thinking this could be the biggest waste of time and money. I probably shouldn't have done it. I was really wishing that a friend or two would have taken me up on the offer to join me. So I got in my car and moseyed on over to "Creative Cooking School" all by my lonesome.
As soon as I got there I knew it would be awesome. We all got our aprons on, sat at our food tables, and mingled while we waited for the class to start. I met some really cool people in that 3 hour class, and it made me think, doing things by yourself is kind of cool. It forced me to talk to other ladies, get out of my comfort zone, and I genuinely enjoyed myself.
The name of the class I took was "Budget Gourmet Meals for the Family." I was a little intimidated by the "Gourmet" part, because my bag of cooking tricks is pretty slim to none. I told the chefs when I got there, that I was a BEGINNER, in every sense of the word. The chefs told the class their motto,
"You don't cook, you don't eat."
I immediately volunteered for a job. We all cooked together. Some of us chopped, while others stirred and glazed. We made two main course dishes and a dessert...
- Lemon and Thyme Roasted Chicken with Whole Grain Mustard Spatzel and Glazed Carrots
- Shrimp Scampi with Sauteed Grape Tomatoes and Rice Pilaf
- Strawberries with Sabayon

The food was delicious of course, but what was even more fabulous was getting to hear the quick cooking tips from the Chefs. I learned the proper, easy way, to chop up an onion, chop garlic, chop carrots, what a pinch of salt actually is, how to cut up a whole chicken properly, how to juice a lemon, how to hold a knife the right way, and that adding butter makes everything more delicious. I completely forgot to take pictures of the food while I was their, so when I make the meals for Chris, I'll be sure to post my final product. I think I will start with the Shrimp Scampi and I am setting a goal to make it Friday! There, I've said it on the blog, therefore it shall be done.


8 comments:

Rachel Lybbert said...

Way to go, Traci! That's awesome!

Siege174 said...

I definitely like the part about shrimp scampi on Friday night! ;-)

Krista said...

Good for you. I need to get out of my shell and start doing some of my things too. I want to take guitar lessons (Pat bought me one for a wedding gift...5 years ago). Also working out everyday would be ideal. So glad you're loving being at home!

Casey said...

I LOVE this post. I feel the exact same way. About teaching and about having time for all the things I've wanted to do! Jayson got me a "Dancinc with the Stars Latin Cardio Dance" DVD, now that I have time to work out at home! AND I recently got a calendar of free cooking classes at my local Williams-Sonoma store. (Check it out, each store has free classes every week. They post their monthly classes so you can check it out up front.) If I were in Vegas, I would have totally gone with you. But I agree; doing things by yourself can be pretty awesome. I'm going to push myself to do that more--maybe go do Zumba all by myself and look like an idiot! Haha. I'm so glad you like staying home with Siege. You're awesome.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you liked it! We signed up for that one, but it uh...didn't end up working out for us. We weren't too happy with the lady who owns that business. But I'm so glad yours worked out and that you learned cool stuff! You'll have to post pics and recipes when you cook! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks guys!
@ krista: I thought i remember u saying he bought u a guitar as a gift for ur wedding! That's so neat. Sounds like it will be some much needed relaxation time for you with two babies!
@ Casey: zumba is the best! I love it! And thanks for the Williams & sanoma tip!
@ Steph: I'm totally bummed it didn't work out for u & the owner was rude! It kinda makes me wish I didn't name the school in my post. I could totally see u and Jeff doing it though. It seemed like a great idea for a date!

Unknown said...

You'll have to share the recipe after you make it on Friday. You go girl!

Chauntel and Matthew said...

I can't find people to sign up for classes with me either! Too bad we don't live next to each other. I'd totally go with you!