Friday, July 29, 2011

Guilty


Last year at this time I was beginning to prep for year two in the classroom. Once August hits, it's pretty much time to get your butt in gear in the teaching world. I was reviewing my lessons for the first semester, getting my club meeting dates together for NJHS and preparing for the teachers to return for the first teacher-in-service day of the school year... Oh, how life changes.

Today I found myself changing poopy diapers, slicing up bananas and tending to my attention starved child. At least, that's what he insinuated as he cried for 30 minutes while I did the bills. It's hard to believe that just one year ago I was tending to the needs of hundreds of students at Brinley and now I have one little guy to chase around. My major concerns in life have shifted from data analysis, progress tracking, and school climate to changing Siege's diaper without getting poo smear on the floor.

Some days I just feel antsy and unaccomplished. And then I feel guilty for feeling antsy and unaccomplished because I am blessed enough to be able to watch my precious boy grow and change each day. I have to admit, I sure do laugh and smile a lot more now. Just this morning I watched as Siege shared his breakfast with Nadia. Siege had the biggest smile on his face as Nadi came to chomp down all the banana bits that didn't make it into Siege's mouth. He sure loves his puppy. Life is just a lot simpler now. Most days I love it- I really do, but just today (and I feel guilty even typing it) I'm wondering what life would be like if I went back to work.

I'm pretty sure it would suck though... LOL

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Tracy I have those EXACT same thoughts all the time! It's nice to know someone feels the same way. Thanks for sharing! We really need to get together!

Jillian said...

Is Siege getting into the trash can or were you just cleaning the floors? Your house looks beautiful. I hope to see it along with your cute boy when I visit next month.

Chauntel and Matthew said...

I think every mom has those feelings! I know I do! haha It sure is a blessing being a stay at home mom but sometimes more adult interaction would be nice.

Unknown said...

Danielle- Yes we do. Now that you live here we'll have to plan a play date!
Jill- I'm excited you're coming to visit! We'll have to get together! And yes, Siege just gets into the trash can all the time now, so every time he's out the trash can is up.
Chauni- Thanks for the support!

Krista said...

It's okay to feel that way...I feel the same. My sis in law called me a couple days ago letting me know there was a position available at the new high school. I looked into it and considered applying...but didn't. I love the moments with the girls that I will never get back. I do miss the classroom but that doesn't mean I can never go back again. I'll just wait til the girls grow a little more. Don't feel guilty though...totally normal and you're not the only one.

Casey said...

Haha. So true. But I KNOW it would suck!!!

Jamie Giff said...

You're an amazing teacher and I hope you do go back to teaching one day, but it can wait until Siege goes to school, no? In the meantime I'm with Kristin, you should use your creative talents to start a business. Or maybe there's a non-profit organization out there that would interest you and that could benefit from your mad skillz. :)

Ivette said...

Tracy you will have more guilty feelings if you go back to work,your baby need you more than anybody,enjoyed your baby!!!!! they grow too fast.